[ANSTHRLD] Introduction and Conflict Check

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Sat Mar 1 11:53:23 PST 2003

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Paul Haines <wyrmclaw at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> If a fret can be fimbriated (it is a geometric, not terribly too
> complex charge)

A mullet is at the edge of acceptability.  Only one fret fimbriated
has been registered, and that was so early that it's useless as
precedent.  If you apply the "photocopy at 90% and slap it on" test,
it fails.  I doubt that it's registerable, but one is welcome to try.

> I'd drop the swords

Good thing the default is point up, or you'd enfile your foot.

Am I not an utterly PATHETIC heraldry geek?

> but that's just personal preference.

I'd drop^W remove the swords too: two weapons in saltire, while known
in period (in fact, only the fret and some tincture changes separates
this from the Reichsmarshal of the Holy Roman Empire), is something of
an SCA cliche.

> Just to throw out some more ideas using those colors and charges:
>
> Sable, two swords in saltire proper on a chief argent a fret couped
> gules.  (or multiple frets couped)

Making the chief fretty would fill the space better.

> Argent, a fret gules and on a chief sable a sword fesswise proper.

> Argent, on a bend sable between two frets couped gules a sword
> bendwise proper.

You can't do that blazon.  The orientation of a charge on a bend is
along the bend (a fact that I dearly wish our submitters would learn,
with most of them orienting their charges palewise on a bend, making
it look almost totally non-period.)  If the sword lies along the bend,
you don't state its orientation.

"A bend between two" is something of an SCA cliche too.  In period,
between six was, I think, more common.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com; work is tmcd at us.ibm.com.