[ANSTHRLD] Fwd: Re: --<Shadowlands>-- Event Pics: A day at the Pas d' Armes

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Mon Mar 3 09:12:30 PST 2003

"Leslie Rose" <aggileslie at hotmail.com> wrote:
> This email was sent to me by my Lord Edric de Aldebury.  He tried to
> submit his device and was told he needed to redraw it and resubmit
> it because his chevrons were to far down.  I'm his herald and have
> never had to resubmit a device.  what are the procedures for such a
> process?

Step one is to read the exact text of the return, to make sure you and
he have the correct understanding.  From the Heraldic Submission
Tracking pages under <http://www.ansteorra.org/heraldry/hst/>, letter
E, I gather it would be

    Edric de Aldebury. (Shadowlands)
        Device.
        ILoI 5/02 11.
        Kingdom returned 7/02 (AG 8/02).

So I suggest you dig out the May 2002 Ansteorran Gazette for the
picture, and the August 2002 AG for the text. ... well, actually, you
don't have to: the ILoIs are on-line under
<http://www.ansteorra.org/heraldry/ILoI/> in PDF format. ... "Gules,
two chevronels between three roses Or".  Oh, lovely concept.  But the
top of the topmost chevronel barely touches the per fess line of the
shield, so yeah, it's a return.  And annotated (i.e.: with decisions)
collated commentary is at <http://www.ansteorra.org/heraldry/ICC/>
... oh, bother.  The date there is the date of the ILoI that was being
judged, not the date of the ruling.  (You just never know when to add
2 or 3 or 4 to the month and when not.)

OK, the commentary reads:

    11. Edric de Aldebury (Shadowlands)

    New name. New device. Gules, two chevronelles between 3 roses Or.

    Steppes
    [Device] The chevronelles should be raised and the roses could
    then be all the same size.

    Da'ud
    [Device] The chevronels need to be both wider and higher on the
    field.

    Magnus
    [Name] Edric: English given name. Reaney & Wilson page 151
    s.n. Edrich lists Edric as 1066 from Domesday Book. de Aldebury:
    English byname. R&W page 5 s.n. Albury gives Stephen de Aldebury
    from 1278.

    Bryn Gwlad
    [Name] Documentation verified. No problems.
    [Device] You should spell out the number three. Otherwise, no
    conflicts.

    Elfsea
    [Name] "Edric" can also be found in Reaney and Wilson (revised
    ed.)  dated to 1066 on p. 151 sn. Edrich.  Likewise "de Aldebury"
    is found on p.5 sn. Albury in the same book.
    [Device] No Comment, looks clear vs. online

    College Action:

    Name: forwarded to Laurel with added documentation provided by
    Magnus.

    Device: returned for redraw of the chevronelles. They are too low
    on the device.

And there's the value of reading the originals.  I agree with Da'ud
that the chevronels should be wider too, and I think that Asterisk
should have mentioned that too.

The chevronels should indeed raise, but there's two ways: he can draw
the chevronels steeper, or he could raise them as they are, or he can
mix those.  In earlier period, chevrons tended to be steeper.
However, if there's charges on the field, you have to juggle the
relative sizes and shapes of the charges to produce an aesthetically
pleasing result.

What Alden wrote about procedures is basically correct.  The resub is
free within two years three months, which this is (at present).  You
just have to check the resub box on the form.  Hmmm ... there's no
space to indicate submission history ... sorry about that.  You can
write a bit on the line below "Other" to give a hint to Asterisk
("original 5/02, rtn. 7/02" or some such).  But Asterisk will probably
pull the file and use that info anyway, on the grounds that it's more
reliable.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address