[ANSTHRLD] Charge question

Diane Rudin serena1570 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 4 11:10:17 PST 2003

Serena here:  The cross variation you describe does not appear in Brooke-Little *An Heraldic Alphabet*, Friar's *Dictionary of Heraldry*, or Woodcock & Robinson *Oxford Guide to Heraldry*, nor is it listed among the six pages of SCA cross variations in my first-edition copy of Master Bruce's *A Pictorial Dictionary of Heraldry as used in the SCA*.  In fact, the only place I can find it is on the tabards worn by the musketeers in the Disney "Three Musketeers" movie made a few years back.

Master Robin begged me to let him add this partial history of the Hollywood musketeer tabard:

1921 (Fairbanks silent): Cross fleury

1939 (Ritz Brothers): Cross Fleury with sun-like projections at the corners.  (Silly spoof movie with no attempt at accuracy)

1973-1974 (Salkind): Cross Fleury

1993: (Disney): Cross Fleury with fleury frou-frou at the corners

late 1990s: Man in the Iron Mask (DiCaprio): Cross Fluery Quadrate

Back with me (Serena), what is your source for this form of cross variation?  Just because we can't find it in our (mostly English) library doesn't mean it didn't exist.  Perhaps Master Daniel or Master Da'ud have better sources on French heraldry.  You will need to document it as heraldry, not just as art, and beware of Victorian books.

Serena Lascelles  /  Diane Rudin  (with guest star Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin)

 James Henry <rosemusketeer at lycos.com> wrote:I am looking for a blazonry description of the "musketeer's cross". It is Fleuritee but it also has fleur points at the conjuctions of the cross you know where the arms meet...could any one help me?

Seamus