[ANSTHRLD] Rapiers in saltire

Blaise de Cormeilles blaise at scadian.net
Tue Mar 11 10:48:56 PST 2003

On Tue, Mar 11, 2003 at 12:30:24PM -0600, Herndon, Darin wrote:
> Jaime,
>
> Based on your plain English description, there is still an open
> question.  Are you wanting the rapiers (points to the bottom) to be A)
> in an X formation with the points to the bottom or B) straight vertical
> with points to bottom.
>
> Blazon for A) would be:  Vert, two rapiers inverted in saltire argent,
> in chief a horseshoe, a bordure embattled Or.
>
> Blazon for B) would be:  Vert, two rapiers inverted, in chief a
> horseshoe, a bordure embattled Or.

That should be "two rapiers inverted in fess"; there is no default
arrangement for two items on an undivided field.

> If I am not mistaken (though I may be) a horseshoe by default is points
> upward.  If I am mistaken, then add the word inverted after the
> horseshoe in the blazon.

You are mistaken; while most people expect that to be the default the
default is actually points downward.  Jaime wants "a horseshoe
inverted".

Blaise
--
Jim Trigg, Lord High Everything Else  O-          /"\
SKA Seigneur Blaise de Cormeilles                 \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN