[ANSTHRLD] devices

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Sun Mar 23 12:46:28 PST 2003

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003, Leslie Rose <aggileslie at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I have several clients who wish to register devices.  Here is what
> they want.  Please email me with any conflicts or problems.

If you're not 100% sure of the blazon, please give a plain English
description also.  The best is an image on the Web that any of us
could go see.  I'm afraid that for neither of the two proposals can I
figure out the exact appearance.  And we really do need the *exact*
appearance (modulo artistic details like shading on a head or eye
position) to figure out whether it conforms to the rules or has a
conflict, and the language of blazon reflects pretty well the details
that we consider significant.

> Argent chief, chequy and vert, a horseshoe Or

"Checky" is of two tinctures.  E.g., "checky gules and argent" (checky
red and white) is the famous background for Purina ___ Chow.

Is the field white, is there a white chief (heraldic charge: stripe
across the top), or half-and-half field, or what?  What thing is
checky here?  Is the horseshoe with points up or down (U or inverted
U)?

> Gules a Saltire Sable, a Ram head cabossed argent

What are the relative positions of the ram's head and the saltire?  I
guess that at least one is entirely on the field.  Is the ram's head
small and entirely on the saltire, or is it larger and partly
overlying the saltire and spreading over its edges onto the field, or
is it in one of the quadrants of the field formed by the X of the
saltire?

This is almost certainly an insta-boing.  By the Rules for Submission
(under http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/regs.html), part VIII
(Compatible Armorial Style).2 (Armorial Contrast).b (Contrast
Requirements).i,

    The field must have good contrast with every charge placed
    directly on it and with charges placed overall.

"Good contrast" is defined up in VIII.2.a as meaning, in essence,
color versus metal.  "Metal" is white or yellow (or things
predominantly metal).  "Color" is black (sable), red (gules), blue
(azure), purple (purpure), and green (vert), or something
predominantly color.  A black anything on a red field is
"color-on-color", therefore not "good contrast", therefure cause for
return for the rule I quoted above.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com; work is tmcd at us.ibm.com.