[ANSTHRLD] Blazon

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Fri Mar 28 11:29:50 PST 2003

"BOWERMAN, MATTHEW S. (JSC-DV1) (USA)"
<matthew.s.bowerman1 at jsc.nasa.gov> wrote:
> How would one blazon "Or, Three Lozenges Azure"?

Well, the blazon is the words, so the blazon for "Or, three lozenges
azure" is blazoned "Or, three lozenges azure" ('cause X = X).

Yes, I'm a smartass.  Thwack me later.

> That is on a Gold Field, three blue Lozenges across the middle, the
> center one being higher than the outside two.

Thank you for the English description!  You mean they're in a triangle
arrangement like

   O     O

except that they're not circles as here, they're diamonds?  The
arrangement I've depicted is blazoned "one and two" (for the number of
charges in each row).  So if you want that, it's
    Or, three lozenges one and two azure.

The default arrangement for three things is "two and one":

   O     O

That is, if you you just say "three widgets", it's assumed to be
"three widgets two and one".  That arrangement I've shown just above
would be

        Or, three lozenges azure.

> I used the blazon above, and the Armory said it was not a valid
> description.

I'm curious what you mean by that.  Who is "the Armory"?  ("Armory" as
a noun is "a place where arms and military equipment are stored" (&c)
or "armorial bearings" (heraldry).)  What did they say?

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address