[ANSTHRLD] slot machine, was Re: Device Question

Brian L. Rygg or Laura Barbee-Rygg rygbee at montana.com
Sun Mar 30 18:39:22 PST 2003

Regarding:
"Guy d'Aigles - The following device associated with
this name was registered in May of 1984 (via Atlantia):
Vert, a chevron between a mullet of eight points, an
Arabic oil lamp enflamed and a sword between two
swords in chevron Or."

Lord Seanán mac Tighearnáin asked:
>> on an unrelated note, how does this device avoid
>> slot-machine?

and Etienne replied:
> Because it is secondary charges instead of primary
> charges.

     RfS -- http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/rfs.html -- VIII.1.a does not
cover merely primary charges; the "slot-machine" rule of thumb proscribes
*any*  single charge group from having more than two types of charges.

     I suspect the correct answer to Seanán's question is: "By being
registered nigh unto two decades ago."   *Today*  it would run afoul of RfS
VIII.1.a.

Your honours in dutie.

Brendan Pilgrim
------
"'Eternal Vigilance Is The Price of Liberty' used to mean we watched the
government -- not the other way around."
--Bill Stewart