[ANSTHRLD] Faelyne du la Maurienne

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at bmc.com
Mon Mar 31 10:00:37 PST 2003

>>My client wanted to know if Failenn or Faoileann are the only two spellings
>
>Those are the only spellings given in Ó Corráin Irish Names.

<Fa{i'}lenn> and <Faoileann> are Gaelic spellings (as noted by Magnus)
found in OCM.  The letter 'y' doesn't exist in Gaelic.  So the odds are not
good that there would be a Gaelic spelling of this name that had the letter
'y'.  I don't know what a period Anglicized Irish form of this name would
be.  Since Magnus didn't mention one in his earlier message, OCM may not
list a period Anglicized Irish form for <Fa{i'}lenn>.

>Woulfe, Irish Surnames gives Faoiltighearna but I doubt
>she would want to spell that.

That's a different name.  I can't remember, but I think it's in OCM as
well.  (My copy of OCM is at home.)  It would be indexed under the Old
Irish form, which would be something like <Faeltigerna> or <Failtigerna>,
but I'd have to look it up to be certain.  It's pronounced pretty
differently than <Fa{i'}lenn>.

Mari