[ANSTHRLD] Sveriges Medeltida Personnamn

C. L. Ward gunnora at vikinganswerlady.com
Thu May 22 10:20:55 PDT 2003

Just as a note, the Sweish Språk- och folkminnesinstitutet (Institute for
Dialectology, Onomastics and Folklore Research) is beginning to web
"Sveriges Medeltida Personnamn" (Swedish Medieval Personal Names) at
http://www.dal.lu.se/sofi/smp/smp.htm

Even folks who do not read Swedish shouldn't have much trouble using this
excellent resource.  Here's a small part of the entry for the first name:

ABIORN, lat. Abernus
Nom.: Abiorn 1352 ff., Abyorn 1381-1460; Abiørn 1389 ff., Abyørn 1390-1456,
Aabiørn 11395, 1447, 1477; Abiærn 1443; Abbiørn 1490; (lat.) Aborn 1307;
Abørn 1393, 1491, Abøirn 1421.

Most helpfully for heraldic purposes, they're listing the dates those names
are attested after each one.  The grammatical case of the name is also
shown.  I included only the nominative case forms here, but this particular
entry goes on for several pages.  You will need the free Adobe Acrobat
reader to access this resource, and if you don't know what that is or how to
use it, write me off-list and I'll help you.

Right now they only have A-H up.  To access the list, click the link which
says "Ordboken A till Holmger" (Dictionary A-Holmger).  The various
abbreviations in use are detailed in the "Förkortningar" link and most are
close enough to the English terms that they need little explanation (or
write me if you get totally lost).

Got a client who wants to be Scandinavian but later period than the Viking
Age?  This is your resource.

::GUNNVOR::