[ANSTHRLD] Another Roman Name Question (Long)

Lee & Susan lecachot at airmail.net
Sun May 11 06:24:40 PDT 2003

Greetings to All!

I'm back :), with another name Roman name question; and am seeking comments assistance.  I was originally wanting to use Drusilla as a nomen for an early Empire Roman name (1st - 2nd cent.), but most of my research seems to indicate that Drusilla would only be used as a cognomen and not a nomen.

So, I'm trying again.  I'm looking at Lucretia as a nomen.  St Gabriel's report # 910 lists Lucretia as a woman's nomen.  I also found Lucretius listed as a nomen at this site,
http://www.larp.com/legioxx/nomina.html
which is a link from
http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/otherearly.shtml#roman.
Lucretia (from my minimal Latin) should be the feminine of Lucretius, so I think this should work.

I'm looking at Faustin(i)a as a cognomen (to my ear, Lucretia Drusilla just doesn't sound right, although it should be a possible Roman name).  St Gabriel's report # 2206 shows Faustus (feminine Fausta) as a cognomen, as does the legioxx website I mentioned above.  I think Faustinus (which the same St Gabriel's report lists as a nomen) might also be possible as a cognomen (a diminutive?).  The Nova Roma website
http://www.novaroma.org/via_romana/names.html#cognomen
lists Faustus/Faustinianus/Faustinius as cognomens, and my understanding is that these would then be feminized.  I've also found references to women (Augustas from the 1st and 2nd centuries CE) named Annia Galeria Faustina the Elder and Annia Galeria Faustina the Younger in a book:  Biographical Dictionary of Ancient Greek & Roman Women by Marjorie Lightman & Benjamin Lightman (published 2000).

Now, with all that said, I was wondering if anyone could comment on the appropriateness of (Lucretia Faustin(i)a) as a name for a Roman woman of the early Roman Empire period (1st - early 2nd cent CE).

I checked the online O&A, and couldn't find any names conflicts there.  Also, I don't think that the name would appear to be a direct conflict with any actual, historical personage.

And one final question.  If Lucretia Faustin(i)a would be a possible name, can anyone tell me what documentation would be needed by the CoH?  Could I use the St Gabriel reports and the websites as references; or if not, where else could I go for documentation?

I apologize that this got so long, but I wanted to try and cover everything (including the research I have already tried to do).

My sincerest thanks to anyone who would care to comment on this,
Susan (who may become Lucretia Faustina)