[ANSTHRLD] House Porto - Household name and badge

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at bmc.com
Thu May 29 13:05:42 PDT 2003

>Miguel Sebastian da Oporto
>This name was registered in July of 2000 (via Ansteorra).
>The following device associated with this name was registered in July of
>2000 (via Ansteorra):
>Or, a continental sea panther gules within a bordure sable.
>
>Is "da" Portuguese for the Spanish "de" or English "of/from"?
>
>Is it possible that someone (Asterisk? Or someone who attends the
>Pelican meetings in Bryn Gwlad?) could check the files on the
>documentation for the locative looking ending?  If we understand how it
>was documented in 2000 and passed, perhaps that will open new
>alternatives for "Oporto" that do not conflict with "Porto".

The LoI with his name submission is at:

http://www.ansteorra.org/heraldry/LoI/LoI-2000-03/2000-03-LoI.html

It says:

da Oporto: Magnus von Lübeck: Atlas of Medieval Europe by Donald Mathew,
Facts On File, Inc, New York page 70 gives Oporto as a port city in
Portugal recaptured from the Moors in 868. Da’ud ibn Auda: Information on
the town of Oporto, Portugal, may be found on the internet at
http://www.oporto.com/right.htm. (A printout of this page, with map of
Portugal, is being sent to Star.) [
] the article appears to be incorrect
for Portugese [
]. Based on what I could find on the internet, the correct
Portugese for someone from Oporto would appear to be da Oporto; the "a"
does not disappear before the "O", as the "e" of "de" might in Spanish
before a vowel.

The ICC for his submission is at:

http://www.ansteorra.org/heraldry/ICC/aicc199912.html

I _love_ having all the old doc discussions online!  There have been a
bunch of times where someone has said "how did they doc XXX" for a
submission from Ansteorra and I've pointed them to the URL for the LoI and
said "here's the docs".  *grin*!

Mari