[ANSTHRLD] 2 questions...

Sara L Friedemann liana at ellipsis.cx
Sun Nov 9 17:35:22 PST 2003

Quoth Little Dancer:
> I have looked everywhere, can anyone point be in the right direction for docu
> mentation for Romani (Gypsy) Names?

I highly recommend

"Romany (Gypsy) Names"
http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/arval/romany/

It's the best source I've found yet.

> Can anyone find documentation for 'Amonett' or 'Amonette' as a French last na
> me?

The closest I've been able to find is <Hamon>, a given name, which could
have <Hamonet> as a diminutive (and then <Hamonette> as the corresponding
feminine, but without evidence for this I'd be hesitant to suggest it).
<Hamon> is found both in "An Index to the Given Names in the 1292 Census
of Paris" (http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/names/paris.html) and
"Names Found in Commercial Documents from Bordeaux, 1470-1520"
(http://www.ellipsis.cx/~liana/names/bordeaux.html).

Where did you find the byname?  Is there some specific meaning that it's
supposed to have?

-Aryanhwy

--
vita sine literis mors est