[ANSTHRLD] My ansestor...

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Mon Nov 10 13:12:20 PST 2003

"M{o'}r inghean Chathail" <mor_chathail at yahoo.com> wrote:
> IIRC, being YOUR middle name, you could register it as a surname for
> yourself (Is that how it works?)

Not quite.

A legal given name (== first name) can be registered as an SCA given
name if it's not excessively obtrusively modern.

A legal surname (== last name) can be registered as an SCA surname if
it's not excessively obtrusively modern.

But middle names can vary.  Sometimes the origin is from the given
name stock (Timothy Alan McDaniel, for example).  Sometimes the origin
is from the surname stock (Mary McDaniel Lewis, for example).  The
rule is that we will accept a middle name based on its original type.
Using only the legal name allowance and common name elements, I could
do Alan of Lincoln but not John Alan; my sister could do Elizabeth
McDaniel but not McDaniel of London.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address