[ANSTHRLD] Gaelic names

ravenrux at cox.net ravenrux at cox.net
Tue Sep 16 05:21:21 PDT 2003

Greetings the List,

I've had a question posed to me which I am unable to answer.  It concerns the pronunciation of some Gaelic (I think) given names and a surname.  Could some Kind Soul who is In the Know please offer guidance?

The names are:
     Glendynwyne (this is a surname, the rest are given names)
         Makyne
         Gelis
         Syffy
         Sywr

My guesses are:

     /GLEN-din-wine/
        /ma-KINE/
        /GEL-is/
        /SIF-fee/

I have no clue about the last and have no real wish to sprain my lips with an attempt.  The caps represent the accents.  Sorry about the English characters--I don't have an IPA font on this computer.

Thanks to All so very much for your help.

Masamune no Yahaki
Northkeep Herald