[ANSTHRLD] Roses Sable

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Thu Sep 11 15:10:39 PDT 2003

"Joseph Percer" <jpercer at stx.rr.com> wrote:
> If you've got a rose sable on a device, do you omit the barbs &
> seeds if you do not blazon them,

Heraldic roses always have barbs and seeds, regardless of whether
they're mentioned in the blazon.  Similarly, dragons always have wings
(unless blazoned as "wingless"); horses have manes, hooves, eyes,
ears, ...; windmills have sails; ....

> or do they have a tincture?

If an attribute of a charge is not mentioned in the blazon, the
tinctures of all the parts are the same as the tincture of the charge
as a whole.  "Argent, a lion rampant sable." has a wholly black lion,
including a black tail, a black mane, black claws, black eyes, black
teeth, black ears, black pizzle ("pizzle" is heraldic for
"schwantzshtucker", or perhaps "schwartzshtucker" in this case), and
black tongue.

However, for some small details, like barbs, eyes, claws, and fangs,
I think it's reasonable to put them in a nice contrasting tincture (in
modern English heraldry, traditionally gules, except for a gules
charge in which case azure is used) even when the blazon doesn't
specify them.  I'm not sure I would extend that artistic licence to
the seeding on a rose: that's fairly large and visible.

Danielis de Lindicolino
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address