[ANSTHRLD] Gaelic names

ravenrux at cox.net ravenrux at cox.net
Wed Sep 17 08:39:35 PDT 2003

Here are the sources cited by the Gentle wishing to know.

This is where I found glendynwyne.
http://www.panix.com/~gabriel/public-bin/showfinal.cgi/2421.txt

This is where I found all the rest.
http://www.medievalscotland.org/scotnames/lowland16/womenalpha.shtml

Thanx,
Masamune

From: Blaise de Cormeilles <blaise at scadian.net>
Date: 2003/09/16 Tue AM 10:26:08 EDT
To: "Heralds List, Kingdom of Ansteorra - SCA,  Inc." <heralds at ansteorra.org>
Subject: Re: [ANSTHRLD] Gaelic names

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 08:21:21AM -0400, ravenrux at cox.net wrote:
> Greetings the List,
>
> I've had a question posed to me which I am unable to answer.  It concerns
> the pronunciation of some Gaelic (I think) given names and a surname.
> Could some Kind Soul who is In the Know please offer guidance?
>
> The names are:
>      Glendynwyne (this is a surname, the rest are given names)
>          Makyne
>          Gelis
>          Syffy
>          Sywr
>
> My guesses are:
>
>      /GLEN-din-wine/
>         /ma-KINE/
>         /GEL-is/
>         /SIF-fee/
>
> I have no clue about the last and have no real wish to sprain my lips
> with an attempt.  The caps represent the accents.  Sorry about the
> English characters--I don't have an IPA font on this computer.

Offhand those look more likely to be anglicized Welsh; where were they
found?

Blaise
--
Jim Trigg, Lord High Everything Else  O-          /"\
SKA Seigneur Blaise de Cormeilles                 \ /  ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN