[ANSTHRLD] Decison Meeting April and May

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Apr 6 09:20:56 PDT 2004

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Sara L Friedemann <liana at ellipsis.cx> wrote:
> I do find it ironic that such a reply would come from Daniel, who is
> a big champion of "Dude, look it up for yourself.  You know where to
> find the answer, go do it." type of replies.

I wrote a cover letter screed on "Things Missing from LoIs".  On
several Usenet newsgroups, when someone posts a bare URL, I reply with
a synopsis of what the article contains.

I think you'll find that my "look it up yourself" comments tend to
point at the RfS, Admin Handbook, and other things that the local
herald is expected to know, learn, or have immediately to hand, AND
they should know when and how to check them.  That is, telling them
where to research it is itself educational (I devoutly hope).

But if you (Ary) were to write "I can't find a precedent: is it OK to
___?", I wouldn't come back with "You need to check precedents",
because obviously you know you do and how to do it; I tend to just say
what term I searched for and give the fact.

I know there's an on-line kingdom calendar (and indeed most kingdoms
have them), and if I'm at home the Black Star is at the other end of
the apartment.  So where to look is at least not educational for _me_.
Typing the date when you have it to hand is so trivial an effort that
it's a notable convenience to the reader.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address