[ANSTHRLD] Herefordshire names

Kathleen O'Brien kobrien at texas.net
Sun Apr 11 15:34:32 PDT 2004

At 11:24 AM 4/10/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>Quoth "doug bell":
>> The IGI isn't very reliable for an individual name for SCA or genealogy
>> research.
>
>What are you referring to by IGI?  The GEN-UKI cite certainly _is_
>reliable for SCA use, if you can find pre-1600 parishes.

Here's referring to the International Genealogical Index (IGI).  It's a
common tool for genealogical research, but isn't useful for SCA name
documentation for lots of reasons.  This source is called the IGI so
commonly in genealogical forums that I had to look up the name of it when
researching the ruling for the 09/2001 LoAR.  I've pasted that ruling below:

   --------------------

The only documentation provided for the given name was from the
International Genealogical Index (IGI) of the Church of Jesus Christ of
Latter-Day Saints (LDS). The IGI is not sufficient documentation for a
submission. It is a database of names from records and is intended for use
within the LDS. Some of the names listed come from primary sources, some
from secondary sources, and some from tertiary sources. The information is
submitted by many people who have varying levels of research skills. As
such, inaccuracies in transcription and normalization of names renders it
unsuitable for SCA heraldic use.

As the College of Arms was able to find alternative documentation, this
name is registerable. [Gabrielle de Nevers, 09/01, A-Æthelmearc]