[ANSTHRLD] blazoning assistance

Etienne de St. Amaranth star at ansteorra.org
Mon Apr 12 07:42:25 PDT 2004

The device in question can perhaps be blazoned best as (note that I never
remember without looking which crescent points which direction, I have used
the word "crescent" which will need to be replaced with the correct word
for the direction the horns are pointing):
Per chevron enhanced argent and checky argent and sable, a chevron purpure,
in chief a [crescent] between a wolf sejant erect contourny and a wolf
sejant erect.

Notes:
The checky area has squares that need to be larger.
The chevron and line of division have been elevated higher than is normal,
hence the "enhanced" in the blazon.
As I understand it, the secondaries in chief will fall afoul of the "slot
machine" rule (use of three different charges with equal weight in
co-status as primaries or secondaries) as the wolves are not in an
identical posture (but I could be wrong and will await further comment).
The use of the per chevron filed division with a chevron over it is
considered "typically SCA" or "TSCA" as such were vanishingly rare in
period.  This <line of division> covered by <the ordinary of the same
shape> (ie - per bend, a bend; or per chevron, a chevron, etc.) was almost
never used in period in any culture but has become common in the SCA
despite period practice.
I give this device a complexity count of seven which is very close to
exceeding the rule of thumb count for being too complex for medieval armory.

No conflict check performed.

Etienne
Star