[ANSTHRLD] Blazoning help and a question about grandfathering

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Aug 12 14:25:25 PDT 2004

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Steve K. Rourke <steverourke at charter.net> wrote:
> Now the question on grandfathering. If someone had a device already
> registered utilizing a gore which I know is no longer allowed,

Gores are still quite registerable: a sinister gore was registered in
February 2004 without comment.  Let's say it's a charged gore, which
has been forbidden for years, or a fimbriated lion or something.

> but wanted to change the positioning of an animal from rampant
> cotourney to a standard rampant position would it be allowed?

Yes (all other things being equal).  A grandfathered item must not
introduce any new violations of the rule.  So if you had a charged
gore, you could not register a charged gusset (also forbidden),
because that would be a new violation, or presumably a charged gore to
sinister.  The RfS have an explicit example in RfS VII.8:

    Only the actual armorial element from the originally registered
    submission may be covered by this permission. For example, if an
    individual had registered armory containing a fimbriated lion many
    years ago, only that fimbriated lion would be covered under this
    rule, not fimbriated wolves, eagles, or lions in other postures.

The original animal did not affect the rules violation, so that can be
changed at will, as could the field tincture, other charges on the
field, et cetera.  Could you change the type of charge on the gore?
Good question.  Next question, please.

Danielis Lindum Colonia
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com