[ANSTHRLD] HELP!! I think I'm turning Japanese!

kobrien at texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Tue Dec 7 17:38:51 PST 2004

One caveat about Baron Edward's page is that not all combinations of Kanji
can be assembled to make a valid name element (nanori or yobina or
surname).  As I recall, that was not clear the last time I looked at this
article.  (If he's updated the article since then, maybe this problem has
been resolved.)  More that once I've encountered submitters who have built a
nanori (given name) from Kanji on this article and become attached to their
name only to find out that it is not plausible in period and, so, was not
registerable.

I guess what I'm saying is that Baron Edward's article is good, but it's
a "use with care" source.  Checking against Solveig's book (like Yoshinobu
did), or even searching on the 'net to see if you can find a historical
person with that name is a good idea.

Mari