[ANSTHRLD] Call for Apps - Bordure Herald

Alden Drake alden_drake at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 17 05:44:32 PST 2004

Thank you Borek for a job well done.

Being Borek's predecessor in the office, I'll briefly add that the job is a great office if you're keen on submissions.  You get ample exposure, not only to our own kingdom submissions, but submissions from across the Known World.  It was my first heraldic office, and what I learned there has helped me in my other offices as well.

As Borek said, organization and editing are important.  Being able to meet deadlines is crucial.  A number of folks rely on receiving the Letter of Intent in a timely manner.  It's not hard to do, you just have to be mindful and do it.

I wish the best for Borek's successor, and will continue to be available for any assistance I can offer.

In service,
Alden Solstice

Brent Ryder <borekvv at hotmail.com> wrote:
>Applications are now open for the office of Bordure Herald. Applications
>are due to the Star Principal Herald, the current office holder, and a copy
>to the Asterisk Herald no later than March 21 (the Monday after Gulf Wars).

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!

The job is easy with a little bit of the editor in you, general organization
skills, and the ability to meet deadlines.

I have had a great group of people to call upon to vet what I have done and
tell me what I missed:

Daniel de Lincoln
Magnus von Lubeck
Alden Drake

as well as the timley sending of the files I needed for the packets from
Asterisk (whomever she happened to be), as well as last minute scans or info
to finalize the LoI's

I would especially like to note the help Daniel has given in doing the stunt
verbage for some of the more obscure aspects of the submissions that I have
included in the LoIs I have produced.

>Bordure is the lead contact between the Ansteorran College of Heralds and
>the SCA College of Arms. The principal duty of Bordure is the production
>of a Letter of Intent to the SCA for name and armory submissions which have
>passed kingdom approval. This involves a high degree of familiarity with
>Microsoft Word (or a similar word processing program) including the import
>of scanned images. A familiarity with conversion of documents to PDF
>format would be given some preference. Email access, as well as phone
>access, are requirements for this position. Bordure also observes the
>commentary generated on Ansteorran submissions at the SCA College of Arms
>and is responsible to produce Letters of Correction or Letters of Comment
>to defend Ansteorran submissions (though this duty can be delegated, it
>remains Bordure's responsibility).

I'm here to help train my successor as needed for the first couple of months
and then for questions on an as needed basis. I have held one or more
offices constantly for more than 10 years now and I need a
looooooooooooooong break from it all.

>Additional duties for Bordure may be assigned based upon the skills of the
>office holder and the actions of the Star Principal Herald.

Beware the fine print ;)

Borek
Bordure