[ANSTHRLD] January Gazette ILOI - aka the Russian Gaelic ILOI

Kathrine M. O'Neal ekaterina at direcway.com
Wed Feb 4 13:58:59 PST 2004

I just got home, and amongst my 1500+ emails, I find...  this!  I'll include
my notes after the stuff that hasn't been covered completely already...
What little of it there is.

1) Afanasiia Ambrosiia Ivasko (Crossrode Keep)
[Name] We can use a patronymic Ivaskova and drop Ambrosiia to fix the
problem and register Afanasiia Ivaskova.  This is a large change though but
likely the one Laurel would make.  As submitted, there is one weirdness for
two Christian given names in Russian.  There is no documentation Ambrosiia
is a period feminine construction, which is cause for return.  This uses
three given names in Russian which is a return.

I personally wouldn't expect Ivaskova as a patronymic, although there is am
Ivan'kovaia from "no later than the 14th century" in Wickenden that she
might be interested in.  If she is really wedded to the Ambrosii element,
though, she could go with Ambrosimova, from Ambrosimov, one of the
patronymic variations under Ambrosii.

What really worries me about this is that there are many citations for
Afanasii as a male Christian name, but no citations for a feminine name
after the actual female saint herself.  I would personally be a little
worried about the almost 1000 year temporal disparity here.  My suggestion
would be to get her to go with one of the more common given names, and
either <Ambrosimova> or <Ivan'kovaia> as a byname.  Since her groups
consulting herald is on this list, maybe he could talk to her about this?
Because otherwise I would suggest <Afanasiia Ivan'kovaia>, although it does
appear to have a weirdness for temporal disparity.

7) Ekaterina Stepanova doch' Novgaodskaia (Northkeep)
[Name] Ekaterina: Russian female given name. Wickenden 3rd ed. page 80 under
Ekaterina lists that spelling from 1533.
Stepanova: Russian female patronymic. Wickenden 3rd ed. page 345 under
Stepan has Nastas'ia Stepanova doch' before 1478.
doch': Wickenden 3rd ed. page xxiv daughter of.
Novgaodskaia: Russian locative byname.  Wickenden 3rd ed. page 435 gives
Novgorod founded 862. Novgorodskaia would be the feminine form.
Ekaterina Stepanova doch' Novgorodskaia would be Ekaterina daughter of
Stepan who was from Novgorod.

It is indeed supposed to be Novgorodskaia.  Medb can't read my handwriting.
:)  I would like to mention some additional documentation for the name:

Both Ekaterina and Stepan are found in Predslava Vydrina's "Russian Personal
Names: Name Frequency in the Novgorod Birch-Bark Letters"
(http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/predslava/bbl) dated to the 12th and 11th
centuries respectively.

Also, there is a name in Wickenden's Locative Bynames article that follows
this naming pattern (Given+Patronymic with marker+Type 4 locative) exactly:

Vseslav syn Briachislavl' Polot'skyi. 1067. [Woj 119]

[Device] Blazon as: "Per pale gules and sable, two lions argent."  Please
note this is not marshalling.  Conflict with Bainard Grey January 2003: "Per
pale sable and azure, two lions doubly-queued argent."  One CD for the
field.

*gnashing of teeth*  Is there any way I can get ahold of him to get a letter
of permission to conflict?  I did a Google search and the only places where
his name shows up are in relation to his submission...  Grr.

Ekaterina Stepanova doch' Novgorodskaia
the red square