[ANSTHRLD] Heraldic Regalia

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Feb 5 20:49:14 PST 2004

On Thu, 5 Feb 2004, Diane Rudin <Stellar_scroll at ansteorra.org> wrote:
> So, say a baronial herald comes to the event & works the consultation table,
> heralds baronial court in the afternoon, and is drafted to herald royal
> court in the evening.  What should he wear when?  When consulting, he's
> really acting on behalf of the Society College of Arms, and should
> display/wear that badge (the crossed trumpets)

What did period heralds wear when doing a period consultation table?

OK, I'll be more serious: what did period heralds wear when doing a
period heraldic visitation?

> > I've seen pictures (modern, granted) of heralds processing all
> > wearing the arms of Great Britain, not just the head of the
> > College of Arms (is there even a head of the English College?).
>
> There are period illustrations of the same thing.

And, to re-emphasize her point, none of these heralds are heralds for
any duke, earl, baron, or anyone else in the United Kingdom or out of
it.  Their only service is to the Queen, so they wear the arms of the
queen of the United Kingdom as bourne in England (in England) or as
bourne in Scotland (in Scotland).  Into Wales heralds go not, I
suspect.

> Chances of such a procession happening: <1%.  We haven't been able
> to get people interested in full Marches of Precedence of everyone
> present at the event before court in over twenty years.

Lyonnesse, about five years ago.  I was in it.  It was the last
Lyonnesse or the next-to-last.  I think that was my infamous first
Pelican circle.

I'm pretty sure it's been done at least once in the past couple of
years, but I can't recall any more details.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com; work is tmcd at us.ibm.com.