[ANSTHRLD] Heraldic Regalia

BOWERMAN, MATTHEW S. (JSC-DV6) (USA) matthew.s.bowerman1 at jsc.nasa.gov
Fri Feb 6 09:59:05 PST 2004

Of coarse he married her, but whither he was standing beside her, or in a
war council is another matter.  Send a herald to say 'I do' holding the
sword, and there you go, he was there.  Of coarse I am eluding to the
Hollywood version portrayed in the movie 'The Crusades'.

Pay no mind to the man behind the curtain,

Rodrigo

Master Daniel said:

I know of no examples of anyhone using a sword as a proxy in marriage.
In particular, Richard the Lion-Hearted met Berengeris of Navarre
(daughter of Sancho VI of Navarre) in Sicily, sailed with her to
Cyprus, and married her and crowned her there (in the chapel of
S. George, Limassol, 12 May 1191, on the way to the Third Crusade).

However, marriage by proxy was known among royalty and the upper
classes in late period.  James I/VI married Anne of Denmark by proxy
in 1589.  In 1590, Anne of Brittany married by proxy Maximilian of
Hapsburg (though it was later annulled: she later married the dauphin
and thereby brought Brittany, last of the great independent fiefs,
under the crown of France).  James II of Scotland, at least one of
Henry VIII I think (Anne of Cleves?), und so weiter.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address