[ANSTHRLD] Processional position

Jacquie Ziegler shauna at bresnan.net
Fri Feb 6 14:45:01 PST 2004

Greetings!

> >No, not really. If you check out the processionals in England, which they
> >still do, the junior pursuivants and heralds are first, with the senior
> >heralds and Kings of Arms behind them, closest to the Royals that they
are
> >escorting.
> <Sigh>
> And I had a chance (at the end of my really long email) to score good
> points with my soon to be corporate boss.  I knew that.  I forgot and
> thought about the seniority of the kingdoms.

No, you were actually partially correct - as a younger Kingdom, Golden Wing
would not have been at the VERY back of the line. If you had several PH's in
attendance, they would be lined up in Kingdom precedence order - West at the
tail end, always, as the oldest Kingdom.

Of course, when doing a Royal Processional, the whole thing is reversed -
almost. The way I have always done Estrella, for instance, is this:

First, the Four Treaty Kingdoms (Atenveldt, Caid, Outlands, Artemisia) in
their precedence order. Conveniently, this also puts the hosting Kingdom
first and front and center. The thrones are set up with Aten in the Middle,
then Caid to the Right, Outlands to the Left, Artemisia to the Right of
Caid, then West to the Left of Outlands, East to the Right of Caid, and so
on for the entire run of the Kingdoms. We have had as many as 14 Kingdoms on
the dais at once at Estrella Grand Court. That gets very interesting.

> Since the topic of a procession with many heralds came up in the
> regalia/insignia discussion, this is a point to consider.  With a single
> herald in Ansteorra, we are frequently used to seeing the herald come
first
> and then the noble/royalty.  Multiple heralds would usually be as a group
> in front (not scattered through the processional line) and least ranking
> goes first.  Multiple nobles in a line would have their own herald(s)
right
> in front of them, not everybody's heralds all in one group.
> Hmmm...  Thoughts for the next Principal Herald ceremony?
> Etienne
> Star

Hey - sounds like something different to do! I like it.

Shauna