[ANSTHRLD] Heraldic staff

Jon South jonsouth at centurytel.net
Fri Feb 6 22:08:04 PST 2004

Etienne, et al,

Slowly finding those references ;-)

 From Atlantia:   http://herald.atlantia.sca.org/point/jan01.pdf  An
article in their Herald's Newsletter advocating a return to the use of
the Herald's staff (includes description).  The most pertinent to our
discussion since it describes use as well as construction.

 From Trimaris:
 http://www.trimaris.org/triskele/handbook/16-HeraldicRegalia.html

"Historically, herauldes carried a white Baton as a symbol of their
Office, and used it to roll scrolls upon. Traditionally SCA Herauldes
carry a staff: at least the height of the bearer, coloured vert and Or
(barber pole stripes) with vert and Or ribbons on the top, with or
without some kind of finial.

You may bear either, though the Baton traditionally denotes the Rank of
Heraulde. If you are in attendance upon Royalty you should have a staff."

 From Outlands:
http://www.outlandsheralds.org/White_Stag/New_Herald_Info.html

"Any regalia belonging to the branch, such as tabards, baldrics, and
staves, should be cared for properly. Heraldic tabards should have the
arms of the local branch on the front and back. The sleeves can be blank
or have the branch Arms. (The COA trumpet badge can also be used.) You
should wear some sort of heraldic insignia when on duty. This can mean a
tabard or baldric, bearing the Arms of the Royal or Noble whom you are
serving, or the badge of the College of Arms (Vert, two straight
trumpets crossed in saltire Or). When off duty, you should remove all
regalia."

Also from Outlands:
 http://216.239.37.104/search?q=cache:ydjOWortpOgJ:www.outlandsheralds.org/Weel/FHGuide.doc+staff+painted+green+sca&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
<http://216.239.37.104/search?q=cache:ydjOWortpOgJ:www.outlandsheralds.org/Weel/FHGuide.doc+staff+painted+green+sca&hl=en&ie=UTF-8>

"The staff is approximately five feet high and can be made from a
two-inch dowel or any other stick that would work for a walking stick.
Decorating it with ribbons, a painted design, and even bells adds to the
overall effect."

 From the (now) notorious 1975 Laurel Letter:
  http://www.sca.org/heraldry/loar/1975/06/lar.html

"All heralds should be possessed of a staff, just over their own height,
painted green and bearing ribbons of green and gold. It may be decorated
at the top at the herald's discretion."

Hopefully this will aid you in your cogitations.  The Laurel Letter of
1975 seems to be the only "official" pronouncement from the CoA
addressing the issue of what equipment, regalia, or items a herald
should have for use in his duties.  Perhaps it is time to readdress the
issue with Laurel (Oh my God, what did I just say?????)  [Please don't
hit me]...

Yours In Service,

Ivo