[ANSTHRLD] Wherein Snorri Bangs his Head Against a Wall

C. L. Ward gunnora at vikinganswerlady.com
Mon Feb 9 09:36:17 PST 2004

>OK, I went ahead and tossed such an article
>together.  I haven't linked it to anything yet,
>since I'd like to get some feedback from real
>herald-types (I'm just a names geek) before I
>shove it live.
>
>The article's at:
>http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/vikheraldry.htm
>
>Please let me know what should be added/changed/etc.

Also, I don't have a PicDic -- and I have a couple of questions for someone
who has one handy and a few minutes...

(1) "Viking flavored charges" that don't necessarily show up in real-world
heraldry would probably include:

valknut
Thor's Hammer
Viking longship

Are there others?

(2) What charges would you say are overused by SCA Vikings? I'd expect these
to include the three above and:

raven
wolf
axe
bear

Are there others?

(3) Are there any other SCA-Viking-heraldry cliches that I should try to
steer people away from?  Or any specific practice I should try to steer them
towards in this article?

(4) Are there any helpful, easy-to-lay-hands-on references that I should add
to the bibliography for heraldic design beginners?

Thanks!

::GUNNVOR::

----

NEW THORR DESIGN! See VAL Gifts' newest design, "Thórr and the
Miðgarðsormr", an original design illustrating a famous scene from Norse art
and myth of the fishing trip to capture the World Serpent.
http://www.cafeshops.com/v_a_l/230810