[ANSTHRLD] Processional position

ravenrux at cox.net ravenrux at cox.net
Tue Feb 10 13:16:47 PST 2004

Given what I've seen from most of the Flag and field grade officers I've ever met, I quite imagine that pomp, circumstance, and ego have much to do with this tradition, especially since officers tradtionally come from the upper crust anyways.

Masamune

Yep.  That's military etiquette.  Junior officer is last in/first out.  I'm
not sure if it has to do with gentlemanly (gentlewomanly) manners afforded
to a senior officer, or if it is based on the junior officer being more
sacrificial, for instance.  Get the senior officers into the car and covered
first, so the junior officer is more at risk of getting shot.  The junior
officer gets out first to see that all is clear before the senior officers
get out.  If the junior officer gets shot before they get out, they know not
to get out of the car. :)  I've found that most military etiquette/protocals
often have some practical application associated with them that go beyond
good manners.

~Alden

PS - my co-worker (former Army) laughingly agrees.