[ANSTHRLD] FW: Devise in progress: William Black Dragon (Ironwyrm)

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Thu Feb 26 08:21:07 PST 2004

"Don and Monica" <dmriney at earthlink.net> wrote:
> well if he doesn't mind german there is Willhelm Schwartz von Worms

Which doesn't mean what he wants.  That's Black Willy of the city of
Worms.

If someone on this list can't help him -- though given the number of
Domesday Book entries in Reaney and Wilson, I'd be surprised if
someone can't help him with a name "lower than high born in late
eleventh, early twelfth century Britain" -- I'll echo the suggestion
that he go to S. Gabriel.

They can also give him a crash course in onomastics.  "Anyone from the
army rank of Sergeant, middle class, or below seldom seems have last
names other than descriptive, occupational, locational or nicknames."
is, I believe, misleading: I believe everyone ABOVE those ranks had
descriptive, occupational, locational, or nickname surnames too.  The
examples that come to mind respectively are: Duke William the Bastard
and Robert Bossu ("the hunchback": Robert Beaumont, Earl of
Leicester); Earl William Marshal; any number of Foo de Bar names, like
Roger of Hereford, Humphrey de Bohun; King Henry Plantagenet, King
Richard I the Lion-Hearted, and Robert II Curthose (Duke of Normandy).
He left out the big category of patronymics: King Henry II FitzEmpress
most famously.  All these from Brother Cadfael's time or a little
later.

Also, "army rank of sergeant" didn't exist until much later.  Sergeant
tenantry was just a variety of feudal tenure, owing services that were
not knightly.

"Saxons were adopting Norman names to avoid oppression"?  Aping the
upper classes was a lower-class sport until just a few generations
ago.  And as I wrote elsewhere,