[ANSTHRLD] Heraldic Regalia

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Feb 3 21:53:54 PST 2004

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, Jon South <jonsouth at centurytel.net> wrote:
> In period usage the tabard would have borne the group's arms (please
> correct me if I'm wrong) and nothing else. ...
> My initial feeling was that it should bear the arms of the Shire
> period.

I would say that your instincts are excellent.  You're correct on
period usage and I believe strongly that that's what should govern here.

> Others in the shire feel that it should bear the arms of the shire
> and the badge of a herald - this would result in a tabard with the
> front and right sleeve bearing the Shire arms and the back and left
> sleeve being vert charged with crossed trumpets Or.

Why?  It's non-period for no good reason.  You're likely the only
person at the event wearing a heraldic tabard and making announcements
-- since when do they need to see crossed trumpets to tell you're a
herald?

> requires standardization (one of the functions of heraldry).

Hurm.  There's more variation in period heraldry than one might
think.  But in this case, I think there ought to be an official
pronouncement that period-style tabards are encouraged and non-period
tabards are discouraged.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com; work is tmcd at us.ibm.com.