[ANSTHRLD] Heraldic Regalia

Jon South jonsouth at centurytel.net
Wed Feb 4 01:16:16 PST 2004

This brings to mind another thought that crossed my mind when I was
starting to get into this subject of regalia.  In Heraldic Designs, A.
C. Fox-Davies, (I suspect an excerpt to Art of Heraldry) several of the
illustrations show Heralds in their official dress wearing Collars of
Office (a fancy heavy necklace with a symbol of the order or office
pendant from the necklace).  Most notable is the King of Arms for the
Order of the Golden Fleece, but the illustration of Garter, King of Arms
also shows a Collar of Office.  The Collar of Office is also seen for
various office holders such as the Lord Mayor of London, heads of
officially incorporated Guilds, etc.

Our Shire currently uses various emblems for the officers of the shire,
i.e. the Seneschal has a somewhat large brass key pendant from a cord
that he/she wears from their belt.  It occurred to me that Collars of
Office might be cool, i.e. a chain made up of the arms of the shire on
individual small plaques/shields/rectangles linked together to form a
chain and the emblem of the office pendant at the front.  Then at formal
occasions the officers would wear their Collar of Office over their
court dress or even a tabard with the Shire arms.  This would resolve
the issue of a tabard with the body bearing the arms and the sleeves
bearing the badge/device of the office.  Besides, collars of office
would make great A&S projects <g>.

Just another thought thrown into the maelstrom....

Yours,

Ivo FitzDonald
Acting Herald Ffynnon Gath
mka Jon South