[ANSTHRLD] Heraldic Regalia

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Wed Feb 4 08:45:37 PST 2004

"Haines, Paul" <PHA at allseas.com> wrote:
> Daniel pointed out the issue of the quartered arms being
> representative of the heir of the CoA and the Shire.  However,
> holders of some office could impale their arms with the arms of
> their office.

I wrote narrowly, writing "quartering" instead of "marshalling", just
to avoid that whole issue.

I can't see crossed trumpets as arms of an office, because arms (in
Western Europe) can be borne only by one person.  I see the crossed
trumpets as a "guild badge", though now that I think of it, I don't
know whether they existed.

> but you also have to consider what the branch will support.  Is the
> branch going to pay for the tabbard's creation?  if so, draw up some
> designs with and without the herald's badge incorporated and put it
> to the populace for a vote.

Would you then ask the shire to vote on whether to have a football
game at the next event?  Football is closer to period than the crossed
trumpets thing.  It's a chance to educate and convince.  Further, I
doubt that the shire will have a strong opinion on it if the herald
comes down strongly against it and is willing to put forth the effort
(or get someone else willing) to do the shire arms on all four sleeves.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address