[ANSTHRLD] Heraldic Regalia

Jon South jonsouth at centurytel.net
Wed Feb 4 17:00:08 PST 2004

A member of the Shire has provided the following from the June 1975
Laurel letter ion support of the proposed/preferred design:

HERALD'S REGALIA (REVISED)

30 June, 1975 CE

In order to bring the regalia of the College of Arms (Heralds) more into
line with proper period practice, the following is herewith instituted:

Cornettes; Pursuivants Extraordinary:

May wear a green sash over the left shoulder, charged with the crossed
trumps of the College of Arms, or a green surcoat, charged front and
back with the crossed trumps (Or).

Chief Heraldic Officers of Baronies or other Branches:

May wear a Tabard bearing the Arms of the College on the back and right
sleeve, and the Arms of their Branch on the front and right sleeve; or
the sash, or the simple surcoat; or a surcoat bearing the Arms of the
College on the back and the Arms of their Branch on the front.

Titled Pursuivants and Heralds:

May wear all of the above; or change the left sleeve of the Tabard to
bear a badge they may register for their title (see: badge for Dragon
Herald); or they wear the Cloak, which will be green, and bear the Arms
of the College on the back and right breast and a Shield of the Arms of
their Branch on the left breast.

Kings (Queens) of Arms:

May wear all of the above.

All regalia may be lined as the wearer sees fit, and may be bordured in
alternate sections of the principal colours of the Arms displayed.

All heralds should be possessed of a staff, just over their own height,
painted green and bearing ribbons of green and gold. It may be decorated
at the top at the herald's discretion.

Titled Pursuivants, titled Heralds and Kings (Queens) of Arms may carry
a Baton, decorated with alternating stripes of green and gold, and
decorated at the end at the bearer's discretion.

Lady heralds may, rather than the Tabard and Surcoat, base their regalia
on the Cote­Hardie (Gates of Hell). When sleeved as a Tabard, it falls
under Tabard regulations, and when unsleeved, it falls under Surcoat
regulations.

Does anyone know of any revision to this?

Ivo