[ANSTHRLD] question about counterchanging

kobrien at texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Thu Feb 5 11:12:53 PST 2004

> Quoth "Joe Percer":
> > And I just get Master Daniel's email saying that it is too complex. So
> > I'll re-do my question, when they say simple geometric charges, are we
> > speaking solely of ordinaries?
>
> No - things like roundels and billets are also suitable.
>
> -Aryanhwy

The way "How to tell if something is simple enough to fimbriate" was explained
to me, a number of years ago, was:

- look at the item you want to fimbriate
- imagine the same item - only larger (as if you had made it bigger on a copier)
- can you put one over the top of the other and have it look like an outline?

If so, it's probably simple enough to fimbriate.  The example we were looking
at was a celtic cross.  When you put a celtic cross over the identical (only
bigger) celtic cross, you obscure the detailing in the center of the celtic
cross.  So, it isn't simple enough to fimbriate.

Something like a delf or lozenge would also be simple enough to fimbriate.  If
I remember correctly, some crosses are simple enough to fimbriate, some are not.

Mari