[ANSTHRLD] Processional position

Jacquie Ziegler shauna at bresnan.net
Fri Feb 6 12:56:51 PST 2004

Greetings!

> Mistress Shauna of Carrick Point did write:
> >  Now, THAT I would have paid money to see (and would probably have been
near
> >  the back of the procession, anyway, since I was PH for Artemisia at the
> >  time - as to why the back, anybody junior able to answer?)
> Because Artemisia is one of the newest kingdoms.
> Alasdair "I am not a herald, but I can spell heraldry" MacEogan

No, not really. If you check out the processionals in England, which they
still do, the junior pursuivants and heralds are first, with the senior
heralds and Kings of Arms behind them, closest to the Royals that they are
escorting.

Same principal as naval ceremony, actually - junior member gets to waiting
conveyance (boat or carriage or car) and holds door/ladder for senior
members to get into conveyance, then gets in last. When arriving at
destination, junior member gets out first and holds door/ladder for senior
members, then gets to the front of the line to get to the door of wherever
they are entering to, again, hold the door for the senior members.

Shauna
(not a naval type, but have a close friend who just got _her_ bird in the
Naval Reserve, so I know a bit about the whole junior/senior thing. Army
does it too.)