[ANSTHRLD] Herald and the computer

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Thu Jan 8 20:00:00 PST 2004

> On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Teceangl <tierna at agora.rdrop.com> wrote:
> > Use the index to the online Ordinary:
> > http://oanda.sca.org/ordinary/index.html
> > That aligns all charges considered the same into the same categories.

I said "aligns", not "lists".  I didn't mean each category was all-inclusive.

> That appears not to be always the case.  10/97 LoAR, West returns:
>
>     Ibert Nothstein. Device. Argent, on a sun sable a mullet of eight
>     points Or, on a chief azure two arrows inverted in saltire Or.
>
>         This is being returned for violating our "sword and dagger"
>         rule, by having two charges, the sun and the mullet of eight
>         points, with which we give no heraldic difference in the same
>         design.
>
> In the on-line Ordinary,
>
>     Aelfraed of Hrofesceaster|8406M|d|
>     Argent, a bend lozengy vert between a candlestick enflamed in
>     holder and a mullet of eight points gules.|
>     |AR|BEND:1:indented:unc:vert|
>     CANDLESTICK:1:gules:second|FIELD:argent|STAR:1:gules:of
>     8:second:t1:unc
>
> shows up in Mullet - Uncharged - 1 - Gules but not in
> Sun - Whole - Uncharged - 1 - Gules.

However, if you've any intelligence at all and see under Sun the reference
for Sun - charged leads you to Mullet - charged, you might think to look in
Laurel precedents (if you don't already know) to see how suns fare versus
mullets.  It's referenced, just just need to put some thought into it.
My pet peeve are folks who don't know what Laurel has said about difference
checking for conflict.  The most interesting results occur.

> The printed Ordinary has "see also" lines, as does my genord.pl
> output.

As does the online index to the Ordinary, and we can use those for reference.

- Teceangl
--
    "Black is the color of my love's true hair...."
							 -FKV