[ANSTHRLD] RE: Heralds Digest, Vol 8, Issue 7

Bridget the Stargazer bridgetthestargazer at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 8 20:28:53 PST 2004

>The only correction I'd make to your blazon is to add a comma after
>the field tincture:
>
>"Per bend sinister argent and purpure, a compass star and in canton a
>decrescent moon a bordure counterchanged."
<VBG> yay! I'm learning!

>Is your question then whether the bordure would overly the moon in
>canton?  It would not.
>
>On a general style note, this doesn't bear much resemblance to medieval
>armory, for a number of reasons:
>
>1) Purpure was rare
(Warning, humor here) So am I, there's only one of me ;)
>2) Per bend sinister was rare
Guess it's my left-handedness rearing itself
>3) Counterchanging complex charges is even rarer
>4) Compass stars are modern inventions
does the wording "a mullet of four greater and four lesser points" work
better even though the picture (at least in my head) is the same?
>5) Bordures are overused in SCA armory
I'm trying to achieve CD's while keeping as much of the original design as
possible.

>None of this is a bar to registration, but your client might be
>interested to know how far removed from medieval heraldry this design
>is.  Maybe the client might consider dropping the bordure, or going
>with a standard heraldic mullet or estoile, or making the field
>division 'per pale' or 'per fess'?  Any one of those, or all, would
>help.
The "client" is me. I'm not a herald. (Was a drop-dead deputy for a shire in
Atenveldt once though) With no local herald, I'm trying to work on my name
and device and hoping to have something that won't get bounced when
submitted.

Please understand that my responses to your numbered points are *not* typed
in a nasty manner. They are typed with a smile.

Thanks,
Bridget