[ANSTHRLD] ER Deputies

Etienne de St. Amaranth star at ansteorra.org
Tue Jan 20 09:12:53 PST 2004

As most of you are aware, Corpora requires that kingdom officers have
"Emergency Replacement Deputies."  These deputies serve in three
capacities.  First, should the officer in question be unable to continue in
office (whether due to health, a job move out of kingdom, etc.) then the ER
Deputy takes on the officer's duties until the office is filled.  Second,
if the officer is temporarily out of pocket (goes to Pennsic or Lilies or
Gulf and cannot be reached, has a minor medical procedure, etc.) then the
ER Deputy fills in as an acting officer until the warranted kingdom officer
can take back up their duties.  Third, a designated deputy can represent
the principal herald at an event the principal herald cannot attend (if the
principal herald cannot attend Gulf Wars, etc.).

Since I took office on November 1, 2003, Mistress Rosalia di Bellavita,
Sable Roundel Herald (Star Emeritae), has been my ER Deputy.  She has
graciously held this position even after stepping down as Star to give me
time to solidify my thoughts on what I wanted to do with the ER
position.  While I have not had to activate her (for which I am sure she is
grateful), I have appreciated her service and hope that you will also thank
her as you have opportunity to meet her.

Effective with the warrant roster signed January 18, 2004, the Star
Principal Herald has three ER Deputies.  Please welcome:
Lord Alden Drake, current branch herald to the Barony of Stargate, as ER
Deputy for Regional/Local Administration
Lady Emma de Featherstan, current Obelisk Herald, as ER Deputy for Star
Files and Application Process
Lady Medb Liath, current Asterisk Herald, as ER Deputy for Kingdom Deputies
In effect, I have broken the Star responsibilities into three more
manageable areas for short-term emergencies.

Lady Emma lives close enough to me to have access to the Star files without
having to move them halfway (or all the way) across the kingdom and can
access those records if the Star office is vacant for some
reason.  Additionally, if the circumstances require it, Lady Emma would
coordinate the "Star Search" to get a new Star Principal Herald for the
Crown and Laurel Sovreign of Arms.

Lord Alden would be responsible for coordinating regional reporting, would
manage the regional heralds, would be the point of escalation for local
heralds needing assistance, and generally be the "go to" person for any
regional or local herald.  Should timing require it, Lord Alden would be
responsible for the bulk of the reporting at King's Roundtable and Crown
Tournament meetings of the Greater Officers since the bulk of that
reporting is branch based.

Lady Medb then would have oversight of the kingdom staff (all submissions,
College of Arms issues, publications, precedence, College of Scribes,
etc.).  In reality, Lady Medb's role is a little harder to define since any
issue that is not regional or local related, and does not relate to
replacing Star, falls into her jurisdiction.  She would be responsible for
any kingdom issue reporting at Greater Officers' meetings and would
coordinate such with Lord Alden.

Inevitably, someone will ask which ER Deputy is THE ER Deputy, which is
senior to the others, etc.  There is a serious intent for the ER Deputies
to function as a Triumvirate.  Nevertheless, in an emergency situation the
Crown will select which of the three deputies will act as the Crown's
direct "go to" herald and that herald will hold seniority if the situation
arises.

The core of this idea is quite simply to divide the job roles for
short-term emergencies so that they are manageable by someone who has not
been living the role daily in all of its aspects.  Please welcome these
deputies to their new roles when you cross their paths.  Note that this is
my method for organizing ER Deputies and does not bind my successor to do
anything similar.  Also note that ER Deputies could be changed at any
normal warrant signing event (Crown Tourney or Roundtable) though I have no
intent to constantly change my ER Deputies.

Any questions about this organization of ER Deputies should be directed to
me offlist and I will be happy to respond.

In service to my Crown, my kingdom, and the whole populace of Ansteorra,
Seigneur Etienne de Saint Amaranth
Compagnon à l'ordre de l'étoile du mérite d'Ansteorra
Étoile Héraut Principal