[ANSTHRLD] Herald and the computer

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Thu Jan 8 21:52:31 PST 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Teceangl <tierna at agora.rdrop.com> wrote:
> > > Use the index to the online Ordinary:
> > > http://oanda.sca.org/ordinary/index.html
> > > That aligns all charges considered the same into the same
> > > categories.
>
> I said "aligns", not "lists".  I didn't mean each category was
> all-inclusive.

What do you mean when you use the word "aligns"?

> However, if you've any intelligence at all and see under Sun the
> reference for Sun - charged leads you to Mullet - charged, you might
> think to look in Laurel precedents (if you don't already know) to
> see how suns fare versus mullets.

I think you're way out of line, saying that people who miss that
relatively subtle point are completely unintelligent.  For that
matter, I have at least some intelligence and experience, and I have
to keep going back to my own mullet precedent list to check the odd
cases.  (Zenobia's recentish precedent "number of points goes like
number of charges" covers only like to like, not, for example, a
mullet of four points versus a compass star.)

> My pet peeve are folks who don't know what Laurel has said about
> difference checking for conflict.  The most interesting results
> occur.

Well, yes.

> > The printed Ordinary has "see also" lines, as does my genord.pl
> > output.
>
> As does the online index to the Ordinary, and we can use those for
> reference.

genord.pl's output has
    mullet - see also caltrap and estoile and sun
(I wasn't the one who added it there.)  I don't see it anywhere in
<http://heraldry.ansteorra.org:80/OandA/ordinary/M.html>.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel (home); Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com; work is tmcd at us.ibm.com.