[ANSTHRLD] help with conflict check

Jay Rudin rudin at ev1.net
Wed Jan 21 10:32:05 PST 2004

> > But there is a cloud in the possible conflict I mentioned.  If
> > it's a small cloud, it might be considered equivalent to a
> > maintained charge, and thus not worth difference.  If it's a large
> > cloud, on the other than, it's probably worth a CD.
>
> >scritch-scritch-scritch<  Okay, methinks the RfS just defied the laws
> of physics and logic.  Either something is there or it isn't there,
> right?

Is it news to you that the RfS defy the rules of logic??

But actually, this time the rule is actually quite logical.  Yes, either
something's there or it isn't, but that's not the question.  The question is
whether we care that it's there.

Consider, for instance, a dragon's head with a toothpick in it's mouth.  Do
we care about the toothpick?  No -- it doesn't matter.  If, however, if it's
holding an oak tree in it's mouth, then the tree would be bigger than the
dragon's head , and counts as a difference.

The general principle is that I should be able to tell whether that guy
rushing me with his arms on his shield is on my side or not in the middle of
a melee in a quarter-second.  I'll see the tree; I won't see the toothpick.

Robin of Gilwell / Jay Rudin

"A difference that makes no difference, is no difference."   -- Mr. Spock