[ANSTHRLD] It Est, So Where Is It Scriptum??

Teceangl tierna at agora.rdrop.com
Fri Jan 30 02:11:40 PST 2004

> I know that we register the emblazon of armory and not the blazon, but I
> can't find anywhere in writing where it states that this is the case.  Can
> anyone help?

Most recently:

   [a griffin segreant Or winged argent maintaining an acorn Or] Conflict
   with ... Sable, a griffin segreant within an annulet Or. There is one
   CD for removing the annulet. There is no difference for adding the
   small maintained acorn. Under normal circumstances, the wings of a
   griffin are considered half the charge for purposes of tincture
   changes. However, this griffin is drawn with abnormally small wings.
   We register the emblazon, not the blazon, so we cannot give a CD for
   changing the tincture of wing color only unless the griffin is drawn
   with normal proportions. In a winged quadruped monster such as a
   griffin, a normal depiction has the wings one-third to one-half of the
   visual weight of the charge. If the griffin were drawn this way,
   neither this conflict, nor the other conflicts listed here, would
   apply. ... [Alana Griffin , 10/01, R-?thelmearc]

The earliest incidence I can find of the statement being made plain:

   We register the emblazon, not the blazon. (LoAR 24 Jan 88, p. 6)

And some earlier referrals:

   We view what is on the emblazon sheet as the only correct form for the
   device or badge, subject to artistic license. This is an old custom
   from the beginning of the College. WVS [20] [CL 21 Jul 80], p. 2

And When It All Began:

   The College of the Kingdom of the West has found itself bogged down by
   the fact that other Kingdoms are required to submit blazons only, and
   not emblazons, making it difficult for this College to decide upon the
   validity of the various devices submitted, which may be and in some
   cases definitely are misblazoned. We would like to request, therefore,
   that it be made a rule of the National College of Arms that tricked
   emblazons be also submitted with the blazons by other Kingdoms of the
   Empire ... Furthermore, if the files of the College of Arms are to be
   complete, then we must have the usual drawings and submissions that we
   have heretofore had. Unless the people from various Kingdoms are on
   file here, these individuals theoretically do not exist. A simple
   sheet of paper with a long list of blazons on it is difficult, if not
   impossible, to file. (RoH, 25 Apr 71 [17], p. 8) [At this time the
   College of the West and the College of Arms, though officially
   separate, were housed in the same building and staffed by some of the
   same people. KFW]

That was fun, thanks for asking.

- Teceangl
--