[ANSTHRLD] Blazon

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Fri Jan 30 10:22:25 PST 2004

"M{o'}r inghean Chathail" <mor_chathail at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, you cannot... red cannot go on black..

With his correction "I meant 'blazon'": you can blazon it; it's just
color-on-color and unregisterable.

> Might I suggest
> Ermine, a bend sinister sable, overall three boars
> heads in bend sinister gules?

Urp.  Overall complex charges were quite rare, [in] bend sinister was
very rare.  The bend, three charges on a bend, and boar's heads are
wonderfully period, and surely something could be done with them.
Maybe swappiedoodle (advanced heraldic terminology -- don't use it at
home) the field and the bend tincture, make it a bend instead of a
bend sinister -- maybe
    Sable, on a bend ermine three boar's heads gules.
would be attractive to the client?  (One boar's head in dexter chief
would be fine period style too.)  If you make the ermine spots and
boar's heads slant with the bend, it's great style.  If they're not
afraid of the effort of drawing complicated patterns, and apparently
they're not, vair or vairy was more common in England than ermine.

BTW: you'd need to decide on the exact style of the cutting off of the
boar's heads: erased, couped, couped close.  "Couped close" screams
"Scottish!".

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address