[ANSTHRLD] Conflict Check help

Steve K. Rourke steverourke at charter.net
Wed Jul 21 10:41:17 PDT 2004

> If you're not pretty much an expert in blazoning, it's best to give an
> English-language description too.  That way, we can verify everything.
> As Magnus points out,
> > you didn't give a ticture for the eagle
.
I will remember this for future requests.

> If a tincture is omitted, the *next* tincture applies.  For example,
>     Azure, an armadillo statant within a bordure Or.
> means that the armadillo is yellow just like the bordure.
> In
>     Sable, within an orle argent, an eagle rising.
> there's no tincture *following* "eagle", so no tincture was
> specified.

I had been under the impression that if no tincture was specified then the
previous tincture would apply, but after reading the following I know
understand why that is a wrong impression. I really like this list, I am
slowly learning how and what to look for in checking for conflicts

> Arms are (usually) blazoned from the primary charge (the most
> important central charge(s)) outward, lowest layer up.  Here, the
> eagle has to be the primary charge.
>
> A bird rising is in side view (left side visible: it's facing to
> dexter), both its wings elevated above its back as if it's about to
> take flight and its wings are just starting the downstroke.  (It can
> also be blazoned "rising wings addorsed".  "Addorsed" is from
> "dorsal", 'back': "addorsed" means "back to back or having to do with
> the back".)  An orle is a racing stripe inside the shield, or a
> bordure that was washed on hot and shrank in the wash: it's a broad
> stripe that follows the edge of the shield but inwards a ways.
>
> So if it's really an eagle rising surrounded by an orle, and they're
> both white on a black background,
>     Sable, an eagle rising within an orle argent.

Okay, this blazoning makes and sounds more realistic and resonable.

> > Morwynna Branwynt September of 2003 (via Lochac):
> > Quarterly azure and sable, a raven rising wings displayed within an
> > orle argent.
> >
> > There was a bird cover letter I also need to find.
>
> Three Laurel Letter of Acceptance and Return cover letters, perhaps?
>
> A precedent on "rising" versus "rising wings displayed" would be good
> to have -- that's a pretty substantial visual change.  And, luckily,
> we have a recent one.  Francois draft armory precedents, ARTHROPOD --
> Bee, revised 11 June 2004.
>
>     ... This difference is worth a CD, analogous to the difference
>     between a bird rising wings displayed and a bird rising wings
>     addorsed. [Catríona nic Theàrlaigh, 12/02, A-An Tir]
>
> One CD for the field, one CD for the posture of the boids.  Clear.

(snipping some really good information)

Thank you very much :-)

Domhnall

---