[ANSTHRLD] Re: FW: Name and Device submission - Hrafn Olafsson

Christie Ward val_org at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 17 11:55:55 PDT 2004

Borek asked:
>Does anyone have the time and desire to help this submitter. I am swamped
>at the moment and do not want to put off the submitter until I can find
>time to
>work on it.
>
>I'm also forwarding this to my local herald.
>
>Borek
>Bordure

Hrafn
===========================
Occurs as both a personal name and as a by-name throughout Scandinavia,
found as Old Danish Rafn, Old Swedish Ramn, and OW.Norse Hrafn. From the
OW.Norse noun hrafn "raven." The form Hrafn is very common in Iceland
throughout the medieval period, and occurs in Norway as well, less
frequently.

Geirr Bassi Haraldsson. The Old Norse Name. Studia Marklandica I. Olney, MD:
Markland Medieval Militia. 1977. p. 11 s.n. Hrafn

Fellows-Jensen, Gillian. Scandinavian Personal Names in Lincolnshire and
Yorkshire. Copenhagen. Akademisk Forlag. 1968. pp. 210-212 s.n. Rafn

Cleasby, Richard and Guðbrandr Vigfusson. An Icelandic-English Dictionary.
2nd ed. Oxford: Clarendon. 1957. p. 281 s.v. hrafn

Lena Peterson. Nordiskt runnamnslexikon. Språk- och folkminnes-institutet
http://www.sofi.se/SOFIU/runlex/ s.n. Hrafn

I was surprised, upon checking the online armorial, that Hrafn has only been
registered twice as a personal name:

Hrafn Dansson
This name was registered in May of 1991 (via Meridies).
The following device associated with this name was registered in May of 1991
(via Meridies):
Argent two crows rampant addorsed sable and on a point pointed gules, a
dog's head couped argent.

Hrafn Egilsson Tolftungr
Either the name or the following device associated it (or both) were
registered in December of 1975:
Gules, two ravens rising addorsed sable fimbriated argent.

Óláfr
===========================
Derived from the older form Áleifr. Variants in -lafR derive from a
Primitive Scandinavian shortening of /ai/ > /a/. The Óláfr form of this name
is more common in West Scandinavia than the Áleifr forms. Danish place-name
evidence suggests that the forms Alef and Alaf were also current in Denmark,
but the usual forms in East Scandinavia were Olaf and Olef. A diminuitive
form of Ólafr is Láfi. A short form of Ólafr is Óli

Geirr Bassi Haraldsson. The Old Norse Name. Studia Marklandica I. Olney, MD:
Markland Medieval Militia. 1977. p. 13 s.nn. Óláfr, Óleifr

Fellows-Jensen, Gillian. Scandinavian Personal Names in Lincolnshire and
Yorkshire. Copenhagen. Akademisk Forlag. 1968. pp. 6, 204, 342, 350 s.nn.
Óláfr, Óleifr, Áleifr, -leifr

Cleasby, Richard and Guðbrandr Vigfusson. An Icelandic-English Dictionary.
2nd ed. Oxford: Clarendon. 1957. p. xxxiv s.v. "Pet Names"; p. 381 s.v. leif

Lena Peterson. Nordiskt runnamnslexikon. Språk- och folkminnes-institutet
http://www.sofi.se/SOFIU/runlex/ s.nn. ÁlæifR, Á-, -læifR, ÓlafR, ÓlæifR

Landnámabók has:

ch. 32 Kjartan Óláfsson
ch. 53 Steinþórr Óláfsson