[ANSTHRLD] Conflict Check

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Tue Jun 15 08:05:26 PDT 2004

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Doug Bell <debell1 at txcyber.com> wrote:
> "Quarterly azure and argent, an orle sable."
versus
> Edmund Godric Scrymgeour
> September of 2002 (via An Tir):
> "Quarterly azure and argent all mailly counterchanged."
> Eww! I ain't touching that one.

To clarify: RfS X.4.a.ii.b says

    (b) Complete Change of Tincture - If the fields of two pieces of
        field-primary armory have no tinctures in common, they are
        considered completely different and do not conflict,
        irrespective of any other similarities between them.  ... The
        addition of a field treatment is also a change of tincture, so
        "Per fess argent and gules" is completely different from "Per
        fess argent masoned gules and sable".

Mailly is another field treatment, so the two designs are immediately
clear due to Complete Change of Tincture.  Even if that were ignored,
there would be a CD for addition of the orle and a CD for changing the
tincture of at least half the field.

> One should never whack heralds upside the head.
> They won't ever go away if you do and you risk attacting more of the
> pests.  The best way to get rid of them is to read aloud from books
> on early Tibetan naming practices accompanied by Gregorian chants.
> Court report forms also make a good repellant.

That disconcerted me until I reread the original note from Snorri:

>> Inquiring minds, yada.  Thoughts, comments, whacks upside the head?

You oversnipped a bit, Magnus.

Daniel de Lincolia
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com