[ANSTHRLD] Name research in the news

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Thu Mar 11 08:40:48 PST 2004

HL Pegasus Devona <brandtfamily at sprintmail.com> wrote:
> >    In his latest book, Christian Names In Local And Family History,
> >    Dr George Redmond provides the first in-depth study of the
> >    development of first names in this country.
>
> It looks like the American edition will be called First Names in
> Local & Family History.

Thanks for the pointer.  Looking it up on Amazon, they say list price:
$24; paperback: 192 pages; Publisher: Dundurn Press (April 2004);
ISBN: 1550025074.

British "Christian name" == American "first name".  (Note Withycombe's
title too.)  This is one case where the American term is shorter and
more accurate than the British: "Jonathan is the Chief Rabbi of
England's Christian name" looks more than a little weird to me.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address