[ANSTHRLD] Period arms checks

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Wed Mar 17 08:41:05 PST 2004

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, BOWERMAN, MATTHEW S. (JSC-DV6) (USA) <matthew.s.bowerman1 at jsc.nasa.gov> wrote:
> If so here is a great site:
> http://www.briantimms.com/era/early%20rolls%20of%20arms.htm

Quite good site.  It's titled "European Rolls of Arms of the
Thirteenth Century".  That it's not just English is great.  It has one
section with arms sorted alphabetically by their blazons.  There's a
"records from the database" section, but I haven't figured out how
it's arranged or what it's useful for.  He has the rolls themselves,
including the original blazons, which is a wonderful scholarly touch.
The emblazons (if gathered onto sheets) could be quite useful in
showing period-style armory to clients, and certain helps in scanning
for patterns, and he offers them on CD in various formats for anyone
to use.  But they are his modern drawings, for the most part, and
errors doubtless crop up (e.g., 954 at
<http://www.briantimms.com/wijnbergen/wnbretagne1.htm> shows a cross
formy throughout, and I don't think that's a reasonable depiction of
"a cross paty").  What would blow my mind is if he had an ordinary of
these arms, but that would be a crushing amount of work.  He's
planning to add fifty newly-drawn images per week, which is already a
crushing amount of work.

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address