[ANSTHRLD] Documentation Request - late period England

kobrien at texas.net kobrien at texas.net
Wed Mar 31 12:48:18 PST 2004

> On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 10:45:38AM -0800, Seamus wrote:
> > I have a submitter looking for a late period english name.  He lives a bit
out there so
he was querying me to see if I knew any sites that might hame some names he can
look
through...  any suggestions?

> Have him visit http://www.sca.org/heraldry/laurel/education.html, and
> scroll down to the "Articles to help you construct medieval names"
> section, for a whole slew of good name lists and articles. And best yet,
> anything on that page is automatically on the No-Photocopy-Requires
> list!
>
> -Emma

But there are tons of good articles that are not on this page.

In many cases, it's because the author prefers to keep the article on a
personal website or because of the length of time it can take getting updates
put on this page.  For the same reason, sections of this page are not totally
up to date.  Multiple people have asked me why my articles aren't on that
server and my answer is that I update them WAY too often to put them out there
since I can't make an update to an article of mine there quickly and without
going through other folks.

The best selection I know of for late-period English names is at Arval's
Medieval Name Archive:
http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/eng1450to1600.shtml

The main site for the Medieval Name Archive is at:
http://www.panix.com/~mittle/names/

If the submitter finds an article he likes from this site, check the beginning
of the URL for that actual article.  If the URL begins with
http://www.sca.org/, then no photocopies are required.  For articles whose URLs
do not begin with that, simply print out the relevant pages of the article.
These are:

- a page that indicates the article title and other info (author, copyright,
whatever)
- the page(s) that document the information the submitter is using
- make sure the URL and printout date are on the printouts.  If his browser
doesn't provide that (rare today), simply write it on the top of the page(s)
and make sure the URL is correct.  (Can you tell Mari has seen too many typoed
URLs?  *grin!*)

In most cases, the authors of SCA-focused articles have broken down the
articles to small bites that can easily be viewed over a dial-up connection and
can easily be printed out.

However, in the cases of really big articles, the Laurel office does not want
all 125 pages of the article, thank you.  Pelican, the file processors, and the
Laurel file cabinets (which are already full enough) thank you for only sending
the "title" pages and the pages with info directly relevant to the name.  Oh,
and trees and the ecology in general also thank you.  :)

In the cases where the article has a section on how names were constructed, and
the submitter is using an odd construction that is documented in that section,
sending the page(s) that support the construction is also a good idea.

Mari
(who really did not intend to write such a long reply...)