[ANSTHRLD] Conflict Check

Tim McDaniel tmcd at panix.com
Mon May 3 12:04:12 PDT 2004

On Mon, 3 May 2004, Snorri Hallsson wrote:
> Can I get a quick check on "Argent fretty azure" please?  Thanks, y'all.

Took me seconds to find:

    Garin de Gramercy - 8303W - badge - Argent, v{e^}tu ploy{e'}, a
    fret azure.

1 CD for fieldlessness, because v{e^}tu is a field division.  See
Bruce precedents: there's a category "FIELD DIVISION -- V^etu".  Or
Jaelle precedent:

    [Or, on a lozenge purpure a lightning bolt palewise Or.]
    Unfortunately, this is considered to be the equivalent of Purpure
    v{e^}tu, a lightning bolt Or., putting it into conflict with Thora
    of Thescorre (SCA) Quarterly sable and gules, a lightning bolt
    palewise Or., with just one CD for the field. (Jaelle of Armida,
    LoAR August 1997, p. 21)

Even tho there's a Da'ud 1.1 prec., "There is no heraldic difference
between vetu and a lozenge or lozenge throughout." (LoAR 2/91 p.17),
that precedent is indexed under FIELD DIVISION, and it just means that
it has to be conflict-checked both ways, as shown in the Jaelle return
above.

The defining precedent on fret versus fretty was the cover letter to
the September 1992 LoAR (the first item in Bruce's precedents under
FRET), where Bruce stated that

    I am forced to conclude that fretty is an artistic variant of the
    fret, and therefore a single charge.

The precedent has held since.  Hence no CD for type of charge; only
one CD for fieldlessness (RfS X.4.a.iii).

Daniel de Lincolia
--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd at panix.com; tmcd at us.ibm.com is my work address